The Muslim Educational Trust (MET) was founded in 1993 with a mission to enrich the public’s understanding of Islam and dispel common myths and stereotypes, while serving the Muslim community’s educational, social, and spiritual needs in order to develop generations of proud and committed Muslims who will lead our community to the fore front of bridge building dialogue, faith-based community service, and stewardship of Earth and humanity.
To accomplish this mission Muslim Educational Trust:
- Presents public lectures about Islam to educate both Muslims and Non-Muslims.
- Establishes interfaith dialogue to open channels of communication with people of different faiths.
- Operates an informal speakers bureau.
- Educates local news organizations for non-biased news coverage.
- Publishes a quarterly newsletter, Al-Hewar.
- Coordinates communication between Muslim organizations, Islamic Centers, and the community.
- Operates a full-time licensed and accredited Islamic school, (Pre-K - 5th: Islamic School of MET - ISMET and 6th-12th: Oregon Islamic Academy - OIA) as well as a Weekend Islamic School.
- Is the co-founding member of the following Interfaith Organizations: Institute for Christian Muslim Understanding (ICMU), Arab-Jewish-Muslim Dialogue, Interfaith Council of Greater Portland (ICGP), and Between Women Interfaith Group.